Fire fighting in Fukuoka City recorded its first giant step with the formation of two public fire fighting brigades in1873:Fire Fighting Brigade No.1 for the Fukuoka area had 33 fire fighters,while Fire Fighting Brigade No.2 for the Hakata area had 122.
After several changes occurred in the organizations, the "Fire Fighting
Organization Law" was enacted in March, 1948, establishing the Fukuoka
City Fire Fighting Headquarters and the Fukuoka Fire Station,which took
over the personnel and facilities of the existing Public Fire Fighting
Brigade which belonged to the Police Department. Fukuoka City currently
has a fire station in each of the seven administrative wards,providing
a solid fire prevention system.